Tuesday, August 31, 2010

First Couple Days (SF and Redwoods)

I have to make a post for the crazy party and packing spree that I had just before I left. But I will start with the first couple of days and get to the party later, somewhat in a Memento style of reading for you poor readers.

Thankfully Harmony drove for most of the first day and I slept or sleepwalked through most of the day. We just drove from Pasadena to San Francisco on the 5 and had dinner with Shwetank and Rangoli at their place. I did not take any photos because of my generally sleep deprived state.

Today was the real start of the crazy journey I am about to undertake and if it is anything like today, it will be very interesting. We drove for about 100 miles in the morning and we heard some weird noises from the right tire. It turns out that the plastic designed to keep rocks from entering the car was rubbing with the tire and making noises. I had a toolkit, but not the right kind of nuts to fix it. So we limped to a nearby town with me cringing at the noise for about 10 miles. And it was fixed within 10-15 minutes and cost a thankfully low $15. We then drove on after lunch to the redwoods. It is my third time through the Redwoods and it doesn't stop to amaze me. Here are a few photos from the Redwoods.






On the drive along the coast, we saw an amazing sunset and here are a couple of crappy shots that I got from the moving car. It was a great sight, but hard to capture on camera and we didn't have the time to find an exit in order to see it in peace. I hope the photos give you an idea about its beauty.




At the end of the day, when I was about 2 miles from Medford Oregon (Harmony had reserved a hotel there), a cop pulls me over. I was surprised, as I was definitely not speeding. He then tells me that I had my fog lights on and that it was illegal to have those on when not driving in fog. He let us off with a verbal warning.

No comments:

Post a Comment